Tuesday, June 19, 2007

WELL....MAY BE..


Times change..
don't they??
4 years back i hated the rainy season coz it left me confined in the house..not being able to romp about and play with my friends in the colony..
2 years back i rued the rains..coz it was irritating to fold one's jeans..dredge through puddles tackling bags and raincoat..
finally reach tuitions to find that i was half an hour late..
But no longer...
This time i love the monsoons..
Is it because i am no longer a teenager or some other inexplicable,unaccountable, mystifying reason..???
Well may be..i dont know...
I love the sweet tickle sensation when the raindrops touch me..
I no longer mind getting drenched(accidentally)..
I love the the strong gusts of wind lashing at me,and waltzing with my hair ..and i close my eyes to relish each moment...
No wonder I've been spending long hours in my balcony or terrace..gazing at the lush green paddy fields..swaying saal trees and the long bamboo grass
and the swollen brook nestled against jacaranda trees
All this while my finger remains tucked in my current read Tears of the Moon by Nora Roberts..
I no longer fear the sudden streak of lightening snaking its way against the grey clouds,nor do i fear the ensuing thunder crackling..
So,much so when I am asked to fetch stuffs from the market I dont fuss..
Out I step with my yellow umbrella(i wish i wasn't forced to take it) in the drizzle humming "Rainy day" by Corrs...
There I see,Little Som(std.7) gazing intently at little Tina(in std.6) who's riding her bicycle,she gives him a sweet smile..
Som's mom comes out and orders him to get inside the house..he complains..bids Tina a good-bye.
Childhood sweethearts??
Well may be..I don't know.
I move on..
Just as I reach near Shiny's house, I can as usual listen to the loud music streaming through her french windows..Colonites often have branded her a nuisance..
I'll defend her today ,coz the last time I met her she confided in me that she had a crush on someone.. shouldn't a girl nursing a crush listen to her favourite "Hum Tum..."???
Or wait ...Is Shiny in love???
Well may be...i dont know.
I proceed towards Ghosh General stores ,where the shop-keeper Munna da blushes when i ask him"dada,boudi kemon achhe?,bou bhaater boudi khub bhaalo lag chhilo" ("hows bhabhi?she was looking pretty on the day of the wedding reception")
He blushingly answers"bhaalo"(good).Oh! by the way Munna da was married just a week ago..
He gives me rs.5 discount on my purchase..
Is it because i complimented his new bride??
Well may be..I dont know..
I retreat back towards home.
Horn bellowing behind me..I look back
And I see a cream coloured Maruti 800 ..slow it was..the wipers swabbing the windscreen.
Mehta Aunty was driving it,while uncle sat next to her..i wish them namaste.
Only to see Munmun ,their pet spaniel, perched on the back seat..barking back at me.
They are one of the eldest and the most respected couples in the neighbourhood.
And as I reach home thinking...
Is there something in the rains that makes us all romantic..
Well may be...I should know..

20 comments:

nadu said...

nice... really sweet.. achha hai..

anu said...

hmm.. very true indeed maybe the rain frees trapped feelins...
gud post...

Unknown said...

c first of all tel me one thing is tht dog's name really "munmun"??i cant belive ppl fall so shrt of names..i hv 2 cousins who share tht name!!!!!!post acha hai as usual...bas hv 1 more questn..bondhu sab theek thak naa????let me warn u too at the same time..zyada mat udo..these fairy tale love stories r misleading...live in reality dear..i got scared reading it..take care..waise yes rainy season is a bit romantic..at least i find it tht way only wen i m indoors...:-)..

Anonymous said...

wonderful piece...rains r one time when while looking out frm ur balcony...all u want to think about is that special someone......few of us have dat but the time is so romantic....or for single pepl like me...the best way to enjoy rains is in d balcony...wid a romantic book...(tears of the moon is jst perfect)........n a hot cup of coffee....wow.....its a dream world we all want to b real....!!!

Anonymous said...

Rain works only in evenings for me. It feels awful to wake up on a rainy day. And rain messes up my net link.
-K

Anonymous said...

hmm...you have a talent of describing things beautifully..."lighting snaking across the sky"...too good...but the last line is very thought provoking...[;)]

Unknown said...

yeah...the season is romantic.....
feels really nice to stand in balcony and think abt ur spl. one(at least 4 me...i do it often...)
guess u could have got a ride if u hd complimented a bit abt "munmun" too...
btw...really cool writings.......

kunal kishore said...

xactly.......getting wet in the rain indeed is a wonderful xperience{though only when u dont have 2 do much after it).........watching rain while reading romantic novel is def romantic but try once getting drenched in it with full intentions.......it makes one feel so close 2 peace nd purity ....u touch raindrops nd u feel not being wet but actuaaly feel as light as a feather.....free of borders.free of responsibilitiies aur haan doosro ki baaato pe dhyaan nahi dena chahiye hamesha udnaa chahiye :)

Anonymous said...

caution-dunno read the followin lines if u cant bardasht grammarless lingo...

so wt shud i speak.........
abt rains,
or may b abt ur skils wid the pen,
or may b abt my rendezvous wid rains...
Well may be..i dont know...
--k...2 begin wid..the1st showers in b'lore,n 7-8 f us were there 2greet it dancing all the way in the basketball court....
--down the memory lane,rmembr joinin Anthonyz in 5th....this season,every evnin the crying skies wud pave my way....thundershowers wd send guyz running4cover.....i on the contrary wd get down at the bus stop n wd begin my adventure wid by-standers wonderin wt i wz upto.....
--frndz out here caution me f gettin infirm n fallin down,bt i cdnt care less....
they may b ryt...
Well may be..i dont know...
therez a hell lotta mor2speak bt
i think m gettin enuf f it.....clowdy skies r beckoning me....gudbye(i need2b outdoors.)

Anonymous said...

hey! ask a man in kurla or lower parel area of mumbai dat how romantic rains make him ... u will b shocked for sure at the answer that he gives ...

Anonymous said...

tat was impeccable let me tell you! i'm one fan of getting drenched in the rain & enjoyed each & every line of it!

Unknown said...

Hey....Ur ritin iz juz awesome az usual...N bou rainz....Juz check ma profile...I love rainz....I juz love it....

I hv spent hourz gettin drenched in d rainz...Juz lov it...Wen d dropz fall on ya face...D feelin iz juz divine....N yah...Rainz...
D best tim 2 drive u c....Wid d least traffic....Itz juz gr8....


Rainz indeed make uz all romantic..I mean...I say tht on personal basis...Derz sumthin wid doze rain dropz...So...All I say iz...Wen itz rainin...Go out...
Feel it....Juz free yaself....
I tell ya...Itz d best thing 2 do..
D clozest 2 bein divine...Lolz...
peace out...

* said...

well... the ranchi rain did give me that opportunity to do extensive umbrella shopping. i have a winnie the pooh, hello kitty, tom&jerry, dont-ask-what-else patterned ones, and don't laugh at me when i land there.

* said...

about the romance... my violin sounds sweeter when its raining, definitely :-)

Pallav said...

THE ENIGMA OF D SKIES
by Anon
take-1:

"momma momma...why hasnt ne1 turned up yet?????its 4 now and 12 was d time when every 1 was called...and if no one comes can i eat d cake by myself????"...a sweet young kid ...all inquisitive and with eyes full of hope asks his mom...
mom replies...with a tired gasp..."well dear its rainin outside....so u might have to wait...and so will d cake...."
the little boy waits and waits until d next day when d cake is fed to dogs while hes away at school...

take 2:

"rain rain go to spain"
what a darn irony of life,the same boy now in std 5 or maybe 6, thinks....its rainin outside and d teacher is slowly mumbling these words out of a textbook..a lot of which makes no sense to him. he thinks what kind of a kid would want rains to go away?

take-3

std 8:
same kid but a diff book now...adarsh katha kahaniyan ...where a very "adarsh vidyarthi"
studyin in a gurukul gives up his life jus so that he can keep the door of d dike closed and save his beloved paathshala and stays all nite out in d rain when he has a burning fever .....weird... ever heard of a gate pin....einstien??

take-4

std 10:
yet again d same kid and back to gud ol English now....a very "bhadra lok"ish character(ask d meanin frm a bong frnd) roamin around in d infamous london rains, trying to sell umbrellas to self presumed socialites, jus so that he could buy a drink....gud idea he thinks...but as he reads on he finds d duped woman cursing the rain along wid d man when she finds out about his dirty little trick.....

now this is it....years of brandishing rains as d villian has left a deep mark on d child's psyche...he is engulfed with rage,......he wants revenge... he thinks he has to single handedly change the image rains have among d general public...as nobody can understand his emotions....

take 5:
2nd year in a coll situated in some corner of d globe:
same kid,no book ,but a borrowed comp this time...he reads an online article....thinks....WELL....MAY BE..revenge can wait........
(curtains)

well all i can say is that my profile pic says it all when it comes to the topic of rain...coz i
betcha theres nobody who loves rains more than i do...

The Thoughtful Philosopher said...

nice stuff.......touching.
very well expressed.

deepexperience said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
deepexperience said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
deepexperience said...

can't get any sweeter than this....as sweet as the first rains of the season... well written with lots of emotions thrown in....for me, rains and romance were always one and the same and this piece and the other comments show that I am not the only one who thinks this way ...

Vineet said...

you get an A+ from me..gr8 blog this..enjoyed reading it..